Business Blogging Needs To Adapt Goals
By Bill Ives
A blogging strategy needs to adapt to the business goals and culture of the organization so it should be implemented in a very flexible manner. Listed below are a set of sample suggested steps and a sequence. I work together with clients to refine these actions to best support their individual goals. Sample initial action steps are listed under each main step. These steps are covered in detail in the customized best practice blogging guides that I provide to clients. I target these guides to the issues that individual clients face and cover the state of the blogosphere in their niche, along with other requested issues.
Phase One: Setting up the Blog and Getting it Ready for Prime Time.
Before you start to promote the blog you will want to get it in decent shape. Here is what needs to be done.
Ensure the Blogging Strategy is Aligned with Business Strategy - review the business objectives of the blog and how they fit within your firm's overall marketing and business strategies.
1. Decide on a descriptive name for the blog and write a two sentence description to go along with this name.
2. Pick the content coverage of the blog and consider the types of posts you will write. This can be enhanced and modified as you continue.
3. Write the "about this blog section" which covers your objectives, content coverage and any relevant policy issues.
4. Decide and name the major categories of content, or themes, that will be covered in the blog. Make sure they align with your key words and all the significant key words are covered. You can add more later.
5. Pick the original bloggers. Match expertise with selected themes. This group can be extended later.
Design Blog to Optimize Search Results and Reader Experience - create blog design and navigation, add features such as expanded and multiple blog rolls, and recent posts.
6. Select blogging platform, create blog design, features and navigation and set up the blog.
Create Initial Blog Posts that Optimize Search Engine Results for Desired Themes - most new readers are reached through search engines - learn to think like a search engine to optimize results for desired themes.
7. Refine list of key words, group them, and prioritize them.
8. To optimize search results for the key words, apply principles of search engine optimization without trying to game the system.
9. Apply best practices for blog post content, style, and types.
Phase Two: Promoting the Blog and Ongoing Improvement
Once the blog is set up in a way that you feel comfortable and there is some initial quality content (posts) you can begin the promotion process. New content needs to be added on a regular and consistent basis.
Continue reading this article.
About the Author:
Dr. Bill Ives is an independent consultant and writer who has worked with Fortune 100 companies in business uses of emerging technologies for over 20 years. For several years he led the Knowledge Management Practice for a large consulting firm.. Now he primarily helps companies with their business blogs. He is also the VP of Social Media and blogger for TVissimo, a new TV schedule search engine. Prior to consulting, Dr. Ives was a Research Associate at Harvard University exploring the effects of media on cognition. He obtained his Ph. D. in Educational Psychology from the University of Toronto. Bill can be reached at his blog: Portals and KM. He also writes for the FastForward blog and the AppGap blog.
-- InsideOffice is an iEntry,
Inc. publication --
iEntry, Inc. 2549 Richmond Rd. Lexington KY, 40509
archives | advertising info | news headlines | free newsletters | comments/feedback | submit article